December 17, 2021 marked 50 years of operation for Erickson Incorporated.
In honor of this milestone, we have curated this page to highlight our employees, successes, and innovations.
The Stories that Shaped Us
- We Serve Those Who Serve UsA look into Erickson’s partnership with U.S. Government and other Prime […]
- Origin Story: Looking into the Future with Canadian Air-Crane (CAC), Part 3Looking back on the past 50 years shows us consistent […]
- Origin Story: Introducing Canadian Air-Crane, Ltd (CAC), Part 2In July of 1991, Erickson Air-Crane (Canada) Ltd. was officially […]
- Relocating to the United States to Fulfill a Dream of Working in AviationFrom Korea to the United States: This is the story […]
- Q&A: Variety, Travel, and Good Company Has Kept Employees at EricksonLong-term employees share that they love the work and feel supported. By […]
- Generosity of Employees During 2020 WildfiresA dedicated team prioritizing safety and nobility above all else […]
- Five Impossibly Cool Projects Performed by the S-64Get a glimpse into five decades of the most iconic […]
- Origin Story: The Beginning of Heli-logging with Jack Erickson, Part 1Find out about the origins of heli-logging with Jack Erickson, and […]
- The Fascinating Story of the Air Crane® HelicopterIn celebration of Erickson’s 50th anniversary, learn more about the […]
- Welder Stories: Unsung Heroes of EricksonEvery company has humble, yet resilient employees behind the scenes: […]
- A Giving CompanyErickson, Inc. gives back through related industry and employee organizations […]
- Greatest Inventions of All TimeLearn more about the innovations that Erickson employees have compiled […]
Why We Love Working at Erickson
“Erickson Air-Crane” founded
On December 17, 1971, Jack Erickson founded Erickson Air-Crane. He pioneered heli-logging techniques and expanded into powerline construction and firefighting. Over the next couple of years, he purchased three S-64E from Sikorsky Aircraft Co.
Anti-Rotation Device Invented
Erickson invented this device to stabilize loads, improving the HVAC service performance, and granting finesse which allowed the company to enter into building powerline towers.
Erickson Becomes S-64 OEM & IP-Holder
Erickson purchased the rights to the S-64 from Sikorsky Aircraft, became the sole manufacturer and type certificate holder, and dubbed it the S-64 Air Crane® aircraft. The first production F-model rolled off the production line at the Erickson facility in Central Point, Oregon.
Water Cannon Invented
Another innovation in aerial firefighting, Erickson developed a way to get water to the fires in a more precise way without disturbing the balance of the helicopter.
Sea Snorkel & Hydraulic Grapple Invented
This “Sea Snorkel” allowed for dynamic filling of the fire suppression tank with salt water from oceans and other water sources, great for conserving fuel and reaching more remote fires. Meanwhile, the hydraulic grapple eliminated the need for ground crew in logging operations, now entirely operable by the pilot, greatly increasing safety.
Implemented Night Vision Goggles
The first S-64 to include a night Vision goggle capabilities was developed by Erickson, meaning aerial rescues and firefighting were now much more feasible at night.
Launched Composite Main Rotor Blade Program
One of Erickson’s most recent innovations, these new rotor blades improve the performance and extend the life of helicopters equipped with them.
ACQUIRED TYPE CERTIFICATES FOR THE BELL 214ST AND B/B1 HELICOPTERS
Erickson and Bell Textron Inc. announced signed agreements to initiate the transfer of Type Certificates for the Bell 214ST and B/B1 Helicopters.